Indigenous Military Service and Constitutional Recognition
On 17 May 2017, Uphold & Recognise organised an event at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra in which eminent Australians discussed the history of Indigenous military service. The event included a Last Post ceremony and a complimentary guided tour of the “For Country, For Nation” exhibition, which demonstrates the proud contribution and history of sacrifice Indigenous Australians have made in the armed forces.
The War Memorial's Director, the Hon. Dr Brendan Nelson AO, introduced the event. Below is the list of speakers and panellists.
- Major General the Hon. Michael Jeffery, AC, AO (Mil), CVO, MC (Ret’d)
- Air Chief Marshal Sir Angus Houston AK, AFC (Ret’d)
- Shireen Morris, Senior Policy advisor at the Cape York Institute
- Adam Bray, Yi-man man, Royal Australian Navy veteran and Senior Advisor – Indigenous Affairs at Telstra
- Jack Pearson, historian and Lieutenant in the Australian Army Reserve
- Lieutenant Colonel Denise Oliver, CSM